For Yous Resin Glue.


I've been making a batch of 10 smoothers in addition to jack planes. The pic higher upwards shows the squeeze out from polyurethane subsequently gluing on the lignum vitae soles, no other gum would locomote suitable for this real oily wood.
Up to at 1 time I've used Titebond xanthous gum for gluing the bird sides on, this plant good but tin creep slightly over fourth dimension which makes the gum trace of piece of occupation detectable alongside your finger tips.
 

When I trained at the Barnsley Workshops their gum of selection was a powdered resin gum such equally Cascamite in addition to I know Alan Peters used this a lot on his furniture. It dries stone venture alongside no creep at all, but is is to a greater extent than fiddly to operate requiring accurate mixing, thirty gr of pulverization to xv gr of water. Digital scales come upwards inwards real handy for modest amounts, they but need sneaking inwards in addition to out of the kitchen when the married adult woman isn't looking!


After nearly thirty seconds of mixing hither is the number create for use. It has a much longer opened upwards fourth dimension than xanthous gum which is prissy but it takes longer to fully harden specially if it's cold. Also whatever is left has to locomote discarded.


This is dried gum trace of piece of occupation on the within of a smoother, thankfully I sealed in addition to waxed the interior earlier gum up, in addition to then the beads but popped off alongside a sudden chisel.


I had noticed that James Krenov used resin glue when he made his planes, hither are roughly of the gum beads left on the within of 1 of his planes.


Here is a shot of the whole plane, he made this when his eye sight was fading, non pretty but real comfortable to hold. Handling a few of his planes helped me a lot alongside my bird designs, although I don't intend I would sell real many if I left them direct from the band saw!

Iklan Atas Artikel

Iklan Tengah Artikel 1

Iklan Tengah Artikel 2

Iklan Bawah Artikel